Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Poly face farm - Joanna

Hi Class,

When hearing about this assignment I knew right away that the place that I first wanted to recognize was polyface farm. I first heard about this place while reading Michael Pollans’s “Omnivore’s Dilemma”. This might be a farm that many of you have already heard about because this book is fairly popular, but nonetheless I would like to share it just in case you have not. First of all one really cool thing is that it is so close to us! This farm is located in the Shenandoah valley and what I like so much about it is that is it not just any farm it is a non-industrial sustainable farm! They use every animal not just for food but for their natural abilities. The cows graze in fields on grass and are not pumped with corn and other dead cows. They also clear the pasture for chickens to be able to feed in the same lot. The chickens are not cooped up in crates; they roam the fields and are able to get fresh sprouts. Natural manure is created from pigs and cows and so on. They utilize natural practices and grass fed animals as a big part of their concept. Overall I think that their farming methods are efficient, reliable, healthy and sustainable. That is why I want to take the time to not Polyface farm as my agricultural success story!

http://www.polyfacefarms.com/principles.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment