Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Groceries - Joanna

As I am reflecting back onto my last grocery experience I am trying to piece together what I was thinking about when I was picking the food that I wanted. A big factor was money, I avoided many what I consider “luxury” items because they were expensive and I knew that I could get by without them. An example would be, chips, salsas, the brand name products, cookies and so on. They were all food items that didn’t really create a whole meal but were more snack esq. The next thing I remember worrying about was not getting too much because I was only feeding one person. One thing I HATE to do is throw food out, fruits go bad so quickly and vegetables can be hard to use up at all once. As a student I try to make my meals all the time however it is hard because for the most part I have to make meals that can be eaten then sit in the fridge for a few days.

Anyways the point of this reflection is that not once did I consider, hey maybe this isn’t good for the environment or hmm I wonder what the production process of this came from. Granted there are many items these days that say organic or local farmer, which is amazing, but I tend to let my small budget make the decisions for me. I liked to consider myself an eater that is not particularly horrible for the environment, I don’t eat meat (meat factories) and I really don’t buy things that I know I will not finish or get to before it needs to get thrown out. But when I think about my last meal, leftover rice and chickpeas, canned carrots, wheat things, coke.. all of it comes from some kind of manufacturer and company that most likely pollutes the environment in some way. I would assume that the coke I drank is the most detrimental, being a huge manufacturing company that utilizes mass amounts of transportation in order to ship its products out and always comes in plastic bottles that while recyclable are never actually in the recycling bin…

Next shopping trip will surely be a long one.

No comments:

Post a Comment